The Association of Art Museum Curators (AAMC) is seeking proposals for its 2019 Conference focusing on internal and external engagement within art organizations. This is an internationally relevant topic shaping the future of our arts organizations and encompasses dialogues about access, inclusion and empathy.
We request proposals considering the full spectrum of engagement, not limited to visitor and audience development only but also taking into consideration the curatorial voice in shaping the culture of organizations. Panels should propose discussions acknowledging community, which involves our workplace colleagues and partners; supporters and sponsors; visitors; non-museum sectors of the arts; and more. We seek to present throughout the Conference conversations on the possibilities and responsibilities of the curatorial role within inclusive and accessible engagement practices.
- All session proposals should be submitted through the Submittable portal. Applicants are responsible for submitting the information in full.
- Proposals should support a discussion model of presentation utilizing case studies and open dialogue rather than presenting formal papers.
- AAMC does not offer travel support for session organizers, panelists, or moderators.
The Executive Director, Executive Committee, Conference Benefit Committee Co-Chairs, Inclusion and Access Task Force and Advocacy Task Force chairs review the proposals. The selection process will be guided by the strength of the proposals and the need to create a balance between topics relevant to curators from a wide range of institutions and specializations. Conference proposals are subject to modification by AAMC (staff, leadership, etc) as part of the process of shaping the overall Conference program.
- Proposals Due: no later than 5pm ET on Monday, July 16, 2018.
- Successful Proposals Notified: before or by Tuesday, September 4, 2018
- All Panels/Workshops Finalized, including panelists confirmed: Monday, October 1, 2018.
- AAMC & AAMC Foundation Annual Conference & Meeting, NYC: May 4-7, 2019